Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Most Interesting place in the World!


Who says working at the library has to be dull and boring?
It's the most interesting place in the world!!!!

In here are thirteen things your librarian won’t tell you. All of these are from personal experience. Yes, people actually do these things.

1. Please don’t bring all ten members of your family then expect your five year old to interpret for all of you because he’s the only one who knows English.
2. Don’t drive your semi to the library. You won’t be able to make the turn, and you will run over our bushes, causing me to have to come out and spend 25 minutes trying to direct you out. Not cool.
3. If you have babies who like to scream, please stay away from the library. What happened to the time when the library was quiet?
4. Don’t automatically think that because I’m a lowly librarian you’re smarter than me. I can guarantee you that the problem with your computer is not a keyboard virus.
5. We can help you with more than you might think. I’ve driven to a church twenty miles away to help somebody who locked their keys in their car. I’ve also driven to the auto store, bought a fan belt, and then helped install it in the person’s car.
6. If you have computer problems, ASK FOR HELP! We would much rather help you, than have you break a pen over the keyboard because you got so frustrated.
7. Don’t automatically assume that I’m a total video game nerd when I happen to mention that I like CoD. I really don’t want to waste the next thirty minutes of my life listening to you describe your latest achievement in Halo. I don’t care.
8. Don’t’ try to steal the books. We have RFID tags in all of them that tell us whether they’ve been checked out or not. The alarm will go off and you’ll be embarrassed because you just unsuccessfully tried to steal a book from the library. They’re free anyway.
9. Do not let your children anywhere near the DVD’s without parental supervision. They get pushed behind the shelves, and then we get to spend the next half hour picking them all up and putting them back in order.
10. I can tolerate flirty girls, but please, if you’re over 50, refrain.
11. I’m talking to you teenagers. Just because you have a laptop doesn’t mean you’re the coolest kid in the world. I’ve got one too, and I’m pretty darn sure it’s better than yours.
12. Please don’t come to the desk demanding to know why the document you tried to print didn’t print when there’s a big red sign on the printer that says “Out of Order.” Learn how to read.
13. We have two glass doors that are cleaned every day. Don’t get so absorbed with your phone that you run into the doors. It puts smudges on them and you might get a little hurt and embarrassed.

Remember to drink MtnDew, drive crazily, and take chances!

3 comments:

  1. You sound dark and disturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and just because you think your child is cute, doesn't mean that the rest of the library appreciates his loud game of peekaboo with the person one floor down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am dark and disturbed. To the second anonymous poster. Yes, this would be on my list, except our library happens to be of the one floor variety.

    ReplyDelete