Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PVC: Please Visit Canada

Last Friday I was on an urgent quest to find 1/4 PVC pipe.

I knew that such an item existed. After all, I had found some on Google for 97 cents a foot. 
The thing was, the incredibly priced PVC was located in Canada. 

Yeah, WAY up there in the Canadian there seems to be a top secret stockpile of PVC. 

I am, however an impatient person.  I needed that PVC pipe now! 

I resolved to call all of the local plumbing supply stores to see if there was any in my city. 
I ended up having some very interesting phone conversations. 

ABC Plumbing Co. 

Me: " Hi, I was wondering if you carried any 1/4 inch Supply 40 PVC."
Receptionist: "Yes ma'am. I can check that for you. What is your company's name?" 
Me: "Uh.... I'm a student. I 'm just looking for about 3 ft of PVC"

At this point I just wanted to get off the phone.....

Receptionist: " Your college probably has an account that we can use for this transaction. The nearest supply is in Canada. I can have 1000 feet here for you next Wednesday." 
Me: "Uh.... Thank you for your time." 



XYZ City Plumbing. 
Me: "Hi... Do you have any 1/4 inch PVC Supply 40 in stock?"
Receptionist: "Say What?"
Me:" Do you have any 1/4 inch PVC in  your store?"
Receptionist: " I don't know why on earth we would have any. 1/4 inch PVC doesn't exist! They don't make PVC smaller than 3/4 inches! 

***************************
This probably wasn't the best time to mention that I was holding a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe. (That's smaller than 3/4 inch for our mathematically challenged readers). Unfortunately.... I did mention it. 


****************************
Receptionist: "You obnoxious kids! I am sick of your pranks, ya hear! I would KNOW if 1/4 inch PVC pipe existed. 


And then she hung up on me. People are weird. 

2 comments:

  1. you know...there are these big stores called "Home Depot" and "Lowes" that have whole aisles of this stuff and in two different varieties...
    KP

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha....wow. that is all I can say. Gotta love common sense.

    ReplyDelete